For the First Aid and Trekking Signs Station, we were supposed to help our "injured" Year 3s to bandage their injuries. The Year 3 in my group had "broken her arm” and we were supposed to use bandages on her arm. At first, I felt really lost and overwhelmed as this was the first time I was asked to bandage someone up. However, after a bit of discussion with the Year 2s in my group, we finally figured out how to properly tie and secure the bandage on her arm. We went ahead to tie the bandage on her arm, and after the Year 4 station master inspected what we did, we were all surprised and elated. We managed to tie the bandage relatively well and we only did not tuck one part of the bandage in. I felt really happy and proud of us as we were able to tie the bandage and we did it quite quickly. We also cooperated with each other and we listened to one another's opinions carefully. Thus, I think we completed this station quite well. For the Trekking Signs segment, one Year 3 was blindfolded and we were supposed to guide her to draw the Trekking Signs provided to us. We decided to split the work up, where one person would guide the blindfolded Year 3 with the drawing of one Trekking Sign. When it was my turn, it felt exciting yet scary. It was my first time actually guiding a senior who was blindfolded. In the end, I managed to complete the task and I realised it was not so scary and difficult after all. After we finished the drawings, the same blindfolded Year 3 had to figure out what we drew while the rest of us had to figure out what the Trekking Signs meant. We did not know what the Trekking Signs meant. However, we still managed to guess some and I realised that this showed that we had to brush up on our Trekking Signs knowledge. For those that we did not know, the Year 4s had to give us hints before we could guess the Trekking Signs. I found that guessing the Trekking Signs was pretty fun and interesting as the meanings behind it were all unique. All in all, this experience has shown me that with teamwork, anything is possible, and that we should always revise what we learned and apply it to our daily lives.
On 6 March 2026, Friday, we had Station Games, and one of them was about First Aid (FA) and Trekking Signs. First, we had to find the Trekking Signs drawn on sticky-notes hidden in the classroom. Next, we had to pick one person to be blindfolded to draw the Trekking Signs, with the rest of the patrol describing what the signs looked like. It was really funny and chaotic, especially because it was difficult to guide the blindfolded person to draw certain figures that have complicated lines without being able to see where they stopped after they lifted the marker on the whiteboard. After drawing the Trekking Signs on the whiteboard, we had to identify what kind of Trekking Signs they were. We managed to get most of them, but because of time constraints, we could not finish identifying and drawing all the signs. However, through this activity, we have learned that we should familiarize ourselves with the various Trekking Signs more, as they are part of testing our knowledge and understanding in Guides. After completing that activity, it was time to review our FA skills on head and jaw bandage and arm sling. It was quite rushed because we only had five minutes to complete both of them, and it was only the Year 2s doing it as the Year 3s were fake casualties, plus we had to teach the Year 1s how to tie both bandages as well. We were more familiar with the arm sling, which has to be tied with a triangular bandage, with the tip at the elbow of the injured arm. The two other sides of the triangular bandage are wrapped around the person’s neck to secure the bandage. The tip of the triangular bandage at the elbow should be twisted and tucked into the bandage. However, I forgot to show the fingers of the person on the bandage, so that is one area of improvement.. For the head and jaw bandage, we were less familiar with it as compared to the arm sling. We learned that we should familiarize ourselves with how to tie the head and jaw injury bandage, and remember to start from wrapping around the head before wrapping around the jaw, and to be careful when wrapping the bandage around the jaw as one ear should be covered and the bandage should be tucked behind the bandage for the other ear. We did not really have time to complete the head and jaw bandage due to time constraints and lack of practice, so we now know that we have to work on our FA skills. Overall, we learned that we should practice identifying our Trekking Signs and polish up on our FA skills.
On 6 March 2026, we had Station Games, whereby my patrol went through an Inspection Station. I learnt that Inspection is an activity whereby we account for all our logistics in our 配备 and check for any missing logistics. This was my first time experiencing Inspection and after the first 2 rounds with my patrol, I realised that time management and consistency is crucial to our overall speed. My patrol had 过时-ed in those 2 tries, and the seniors also feedbacked that our items were not facing the correct direction, with the labels not facing upwards. After getting feedback, my patrol tried harder and paid more attention to how we placed our items. Although we needed more time, we thankfully managed to ask for a time extension before the time ended, which our Year 4s said was good and hoped that we can keep the sense of urgency up! Inspection taught me the importance of frequent 报时 and knowing the names of all the logistics. After that, one of our Year 2s volunteered to be the In-Charge (IC) for one of the Inspection rounds, and the Year 4s feedbacked that she could have been clearer with her instructions and stand in the same angle as us to better convey commands. Afterwards, another IC was given a handicap, which was that she could only speak in Chinese. Although it was a bit chaotic, through the experience of two of my seniors being ICs, I learnt the importance of giving clear and precise instructions. Everyone needs to play a part, including the IC, in order for us to not 过时. Teamwork and alertness is also important in Inspection. We need to listen attentively to the instructions given to us and work together to lay out our logistics quickly, helping each other out, and that 做不s can correct the mistakes that were made due to rushing. I am also grateful that my seniors took the time to teach me certain skills even though we were rushing for time. I think my patrol is relatively bonded and works well together. I believe that I did fairly well as I was actively listening to my seniors, but in future Inspection activities, I would like to be more proactive and learn the names of the different logistics in the 配备.
Inspection in Girl Guides focuses on neatness, discipline, and attention to detail. It was not my first time doing Inspection, but I still learned a lot from the experience. At first, I was slightly nervous as this was our first Inspection with our Year 1s, who have not done it before, but through practice and guidance, I was able to help them see the importance of arranging everything neatly and correctly. Every item had its place, and the overall setup had to look clean and organized. The seniors guided us well and we tried our best to lay things down neatly and in time. I was also able to reinforce the importance of respecting the Flag Kit and the Flagpole. Handling them carefully showed respect for what they represent, and it made me more aware of my responsibilities. Another important thing was that logistics cannot 动地. This rule emphasized the importance of cleanliness and proper handling of equipment. There was also a poncho where we laid all our logistics down, which makes it easier to account for any missing logistics and to make sure that all our logistics are clean, which made me remember how strict and detailed Inspection was. I feel that Inspection is very important so that we can account for everything we bring for our 集合s. Overall, this experience taught me discipline, responsibility, and the importance of neatness. It also helped me feel more confident for future inspections ahead.
We started off our Inspection Station not too well. We kept 过时-ing, we were not up to standard timing and we definitely had to pick up the pace if we wanted to improve on our Inspection. We assigned one of our Year 3s as the In-Charge (IC) and she started giving out instructions on where our logistics were supposed to go. However, we spent too much time opening our poncho and it also was not very well folded which let to us 过时-ing. We also were bombarding our IC with questions on where to put each item and this also led to us overlapping over one another. Our Flagpole also 动地-ed a few times which is not supposed to happen. We were given a few tips by the seniors on how to improve and in our next round, we chose another Year 3 as our IC. This time our Inspection Layout was a bit more unique due the challenge from the seniors to make it have an oval-like shape. Our IC started to give clear instructions and calling us by our names to provide clearer instructions, which is also what our seniors had told us before in previous 集合s. We managed to finish our layout within the time that we were given and we also managed to ask for minimal time extensions. For the next round, our IC was a Year 2, and it really showed me, as a Year 3 senior, how much our juniors have grown, thus I am really proud of them. We also had one round where we could only speak in Chinese, and we were all amused as our IC was shouting in “broken Chinese”. I realised that, the more we do Inspection, the more used to it we become and the more we can keep to the time limit. Overall, this was an enlightening experience.
On 6 March 2026, my patrol participated in a Lash Training Station. But unlike usually, it was a Pioneering Lash Training instead of Gadgeting, and this was the first time I was doing Pioneering. There are some major differences between Pioneering and Gadgeting. While Pioneering uses 麻绳, Gadgeting uses 白绳. While this may not have seemed as much of a difference, I soon found out that 麻绳 was much harder to use. It was rougher and harder to wrap around which was why I could not hold the whole 麻绳 or 抽, and I also had to keep dragging the 麻绳 around when I was tying. This was not only frustrating, it also affected the speed I was tying my lash, and when I forgot to hold tension, the lash became loose. My lash was also very loose as when I was tying, I was really struggling to use 麻绳 and I could not 抽 too. One of the other major challenges was that Pioneering Spars are also much bulkier and heavier, meaning I could not just tip the entire structure around when I wanted to tighten the lash, I had to use more of my arm strength and body weight, and this made tying the lash much slower and tiring. Needing to hold the pole up, hold the 麻绳, and tie the lash at the same time made me constantly stop holding tension, and that is something that I need to work on in the future. I also could not really see the back of the lash, hence, I need to be careful to prevent overlaps, having to check for overlaps after every step of tying. In terms of timing, I definitely have to move faster next time, but I will get better along the way as long as I listen to instructions and pay attention. I will also have to be really careful when tying my lash next time as unlike gadgeting, one overlap in pioneering is going to make a lot of difference. Hence, I look forward to doing more Pioneering and learning more.
On 6 March 2026, we had Pioneering Lash Training with our new Year 1s, having to guide them through this new skill because they are new to the 团. Even though it is similar to Gadgeting, Pioneering Lashes also had their own differences, like starting off with a Timberhitch instead of a Clove Hitch, and adding one more round to each step. At first, they looked confused but as my patrol mate and I took our respective Year 1s to teach them, we noticed that they were very attentive and listened carefully to our teaching which we really appreciated. The Pioneering Lash Training session went by quite smoothly, as I even managed to teach my Year 1 how to improve the standards of her Pioneering Lashes, like 抽ing with body weight, as well as how to properly 收麻绳. This Pioneering Lash Training session went well and I found it enjoyable to be able to touch Pioneering Logistics again as my last Pioneering session was during Orientation Preparation (OP). However, we almost 过时-ed a few times even with a few time extensions because of our patrol’s lack of sense of urgency, so we had to ask for time extension a few times and rush some of our patrol mates, getting them to tie faster so we will not 过时 and lead to us having to ask for yet another time extension. Overall, our first Pioneering Lash Training of the year was quite fun and I hope we can have more opportunities to get to tie Pioneering structures during 集合s so we can introduce Pioneering and also allow the Year 1s to appreciate and love Pioneering as much as we do!
On 6 March 2026, we played Station Games. One of the stations was building a Gadgeting Kitchen Table. It was our Year 1s’ second time building a structure, and thus they were not familiar and required quite a bit of guidance. During this activity, I was in charge of tying the tripod. Unfortunately, my Tripod was quite loose and my Year 3 seniors had to help me retie it. However, while my senior retied the Tripod, we tied the 定角s for the first Tripod. We guided our Year 1 on how to 顶 the structure and tie the Square Lash as she was not really familiar with the lashes. She was a really fast learner and helped to tie the 定角s for the second Tripod without any difficulties. Next, we tied two 短木s to the two Tripods. However, we confused the Kitchen Table with other Gadgeting structures, so we tied the Zinc Plate to the 短木s. However, we were not supposed to do that, we were instead supposed to simply rest the Zinc Plate on the two 短木s. After that, we tied a Super Square Lash on the 定角s to form seats for the table. This was the Year 1s’ first time tying or being introduced to a Super Square Lash. Overall, we did really well as the Year 4 seniors told us that we were the most accurate among the 4 patrols but I think we could have improved in some areas. First, we can read up on our Guides Notes so we can tie the structure more accurately next time. Next, I can practice tying Tripods and A-架s to ensure I can tie a tighter Tripod next time, so that we do not have to waste any time re-tying the Tripods. Overall, this was a really fun station for me.
On 6 March’s 集合 session, we got to do Station Games! This was the first time that we were doing Station Games with our Year 1s, so I was really excited to show them how fun our Co-Curricular Activity (CCA) was. For our second station, we were tasked to build a Gadgeting Kitchen Table (Gads KT). I stepped up and had my Year 2s tie the Tripods while the Year 1s tied Clove Hitches on the Tripods. Next, I briefed them on the next step, while waiting for the Year 2s to finish their lashes. I also taught my Year 1s how to tie a Mickey Mouse Lash on the Zinc Plates. I had to keep in mind the overall timing since we were not allowed to ask for any more time extensions as we would be delaying the next few patrols that would be coming to this station. I was really anxious that we would 过时. However, we still overran. I should have 催-ed my patrol more and ensured that they stuck to their time limits that I had given them. All in all, our sense of urgency could definitely have been improved. When we were nearing our last step, I suddenly realised that I had mistaken the Gads KT for an Indoor Fire Altar, and that the Zinc Plate did not need to be tied, but instead just placed on top, and that we were missing the seats for the Gads KT. In conclusion, although the structure did not turn out as expected, and that the structure was unfinished, I hoped that my Year 1s gained some valuable insights from this experience. I also learnt that I was not very familiar with Gads KT and I will definitely read up more on my Guides Notes after this session.
No comments:
Post a Comment