Searching for?

22 July 2019

Patrol Activity, 22 July 2019

Hi Guides!

We had Patrol Activity this Monday, and here are some reflections from the Year 2s!

Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 1:
For PA, we got to practise our lashes. I felt disappointed in myself as my tripod did not followed up with the standard timing. Furthermore, we lacked a sense of urgency at the start of the activity. However, the lash training session was useful as it helped me revise my lashing skills after a long June holiday break and it also enhanced my Year 1's lash knowledge and allowed me to realise my Year 1's and my areas for improvement. With that I am able to work towards my weaknesses and also help my Year 1s better their lashes. After the lash training, we were tasked to build a cube with gadget poles. However, we were unsure of how to build a standard cube structure and had to create one on the spot. Furthermore, we 过时 a lot of times. Also a lot of time was wasted on constructing the main frame, which could which could have been prevented. We also did not take good care of our logistics, causing it to be kapped by our Year 3s. And as a forfeit,we had to dance to Maboleh and Chek Chek Goleh. Overall, the Patrol Activity was fun and fulfilling and I have learnt a lot and I hope to improve even more for the next Patrol Activity.




Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 2:
For Monday's PA, we built standard structures like baggage rack, emergency shelter and flagpole. It was revision of structures needed for Annual Training Camp (ATC) and that was when I realised I had never tied a flagpole without the help of the Year 3s before. It was also time for us to step up and lead the Year 2s. I felt that we should have had a higher patrol morale as we rarely cheered which made us less enthusiastic when completing our tasks, resulting in a poor sense of urgency too. Overall, I felt that we could have worked faster and this PA was an enriching experience.




Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 3:
Our PA was mostly focused on Creative Gadgeting and First Aid. We had to build a structure that could shelter 4 patrol members and our logistics, be at least knee height and made with minimum 23 gadget poles. I feel that we could have improved on communication skills while retrieving our logistics as it was our first PA and we were a little uncoordinated and unprepared so we ended up getting confused over who took which logistics and hence had difficulty allocating manpower efficiently. There was definitely room for improvement for the Creative Gadgeting too, as our structure was unstable and we had only used 14 gadget poles. Our lashes and time management could be improved too, but I think we got better towards the end of the PA. Afterwards, we practised First Aid where we had to find a treat 2 casualties, build a signal fire and build an emergency shelter in 15 minutes. I think the Year 2s felt a little disappointed when we made the mistake of not putting bandages in the First Aid Kit so we had to describe the process of treating a sprained ankle instead of demonstrating it. We split up so we could finish our tasks faster and I think we managed our time well, as we managed to finish all the tasks within the 15 minutes. Overall, I think there were some areas for improvement and things to take note of as it was our first PA and we will try our best to work on them and do better during Friday's 集合.



Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 4:
While doing the 3-legged race and answering some quiz questions, we realised we had overlooked a few very basic things, such as the lyrics to our 团歌 as well as what WAGGGS stands for. It brings our attention the very basic things we often forgot and serves as a timely reminder. Also the fact that we had to tie our legs and walk together bonded us even more. The process of guessing the riddles was very fun and we enjoyed ourselves very much. During the scavenger hunt, it helped us to put the trekking signs, First Aid, and other information in the Guides notes to good use. We also realised we had to improve on all of them, as it took some prompts and hints from our seniors in order to get it correct. It also helped us to sharpen our observation skills as we often overlooked where the clues were hidden. Finally we had patrol corner, which allowed us to de-stress and bond as a patrol and we learnt more about each other. Overall, this PA was a very meaningful one, as we revised our Guides notes and skills while also enjoying the process.




Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 5:
During this week's PA, we did lash training and First Aid. For lash training, we had to tie the different lashes: square, diagonal and tripod under the standard time. The feedback given from our seniors was that most of our lashes were tight, but they could be even better. In order for them to be tighter, I feel that we can practise more and 抽 more without letting go of the tension. For the First Aid activity, we had to go from the 3rd level to the 4th, 5th and 6th level while carrying our logistics we had with us. There were casualties located on those levels, and we would have to list the steps to treat them. We were given 10 minutes per level. In the end, we managed to save 3 out of 4 casualties. As a result, we had to perform a forfeit. After that, we had patrol corner, which was very fun. In a nutshell, I found this week's PA very enjoyable and I definitely learnt from it.



Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 6:
Our patrol did lash training, creative gadgeting, and hide and seek for our PA. For the lash training, I was pretty slow with my lashes and I learnt that I needed to improve and tightness and speed of tying. It was quite nerve wracking as there was a time limit, and I did not manage to tie my tripod lash, which is something I had to reflect on. Afterwards, we had creative gadgeting, where we were supposed to build a structure that could bring a person across a wide river. We tried to build a raft, but due to our indecisiveness and lack of creative thinking, it was thin and wobbly which did not meet the requirement. However, it was fun to learn how to raft, but I believe we can work faster and be more decisive in the future. We played hide and seek after, and the duration was pretty short, but we hid very well and the seniors could not find us. Then we did forfeits such as Maboleh, Chek Chek Goleh and cat walking, which of course was a little embarrassing, but indeed entertaining. It was one of the best PAs I had so far where I learnt where I could do better and have fun at the same time, listening to the story lines the seniors had created and doing funny forfeits. It was an eventful afternoon spent with my batch mates, juniors and seniors and I hope we can have such PAs in the future.




We hope everyone enjoyed themselves and learnt something during the very first PA that the Year 3s have planned! :)

Published by:
Heather
51st Batch Secretary

No comments: