Searching for?

31 May 2022

Values-In-Action Activity, 31 May 2022

 Hello Guides, 

For this year’s Values-In-Action (VIA) activity, due to the ongoing pandemic, we were unable to visit Good Shepherd Student Care Centre to host activities for the children there. Nonetheless, we engaged in meaningful ways in order to connect with the children virtually. Firstly, we came up with an idea to film an instructional video on how to bake cookies and to film a video on Kitchen Safety while baking. We bought the necessary ingredients to bake Chocolate Chip Cookies, and we filmed the video at one of our batchmates' homes. The theme this year is Going Internationally: Sustainability. In line with the theme, we came up with some easy, yet fun games for the children to play. Some of such activities include Dog and Bone, Musical Chairs, as well as Topple the tower. Lastly, we also decided to do Art and Craft. We picked some unique colouring template, and sent out an instructional sheet for simple Origami Folding activities. 


Here are the reflections done by our batchmates, reflecting on how they feel about doing the VIA Activity. 


Reflection by a y4: 

During the June holidays, we had to do a Values in Action project with our partner organisation, Good Shepherd Student Care centre. Although we were unable to visit them in person, we planned activities for the children to do, such as jewellery making, baking and colouring. I had to take part in the baking portion, and it involved helping to film a video of the baking process. This experience helped me to learn more about the baking process, as well as bond with my batchmates as we worked together to film the video. I felt that this experience was very meaningful, as I knew that the video we were making was an important part of helping to make our activity successful. It helped the children to understand the activity better by breaking down the complex process of baking into simpler steps, and hence they would be able to enjoy the activity more thoroughly. In addition, I think that this activity was a great opportunity for us to help in serving the community, even if we were only able to plan the activities and film the videos. This shows that we all have a part to play in serving the community, and we can all contribute in our own ways no matter how insignificant it may seem. I also learnt more about how to make the videos more appropriate for the children, such as using a bigger font and simpler language when editing. 


Reflection by a y4: 

Planning the VIA for the students at Good Shepherd Student Care was a meaningful experience as I was able to spend time planning activities for the students to carry out and have fun during their holidays. I could plan fun activities which I thought they would really enjoy such as the jewellery making, baking of cookies, carnival games etc. Even though I had to take quite a fair bit of my time to discuss, plan and make sure the activities run smoothly with my partner, Jade, it was enriching for me, knowing that the students will have lots of fun and the activities will add some excitement to their day. It was disappointing that we couldn’t carry out the activities for them in person but instead, we had to do it remotely and have the GSSC help us. However, looking at the photos that the GSSC took of the students makes me feel better knowing that they enjoyed themselves. Filming the baking and hygiene videos, as part of the project, to show the students how to bake the cookies and what to take note of when baking, was also a very fun experience as I was able to work together with the rest of the y4s, all doing our part in the VIA project. It was a rare opportunity for the batch to come together outside of normal CCA sessions and bond with one another. I greatly enjoyed each and every part of the process in planning this VIA and I would do it again.


Reflection by a y4: 

When I was planning this VIA, I was slightly disappointed as we were not able to have a physical VIA activity, but the fact that we were able to conduct the session itself made me feel rather happy, and together with my batch mates, we put in a lot of effort. Even though we did different parts of the VIA, I felt that everyone did their best, and wished that the students participating in the activities would enjoy them and be able to learn about sustainability. To be able to bring joy to the students, let us feel a certain sense of accomplishment and happiness about the fact that we managed to brighten someone’s day. During the making of the videos, all of our batch mates were very active and willingly helping and I get the end product of our efforts were beyond satisfactory. Despite the fact that we were unable to conduct the sessions in person, I felt that I learnt more while planning and participating in the videos, and I was also able to understand my batch mates slightly more. I hope that with the VIA activities, not only did the students in the centre have fun, but when filming and editing the video, our batch mates also enjoyed themselves.


Reflection by a y4: 

This year, my batchmates and I got the opportunity to plan and facilitate a VIA activity that the Good Shepherd Student Care Centre (GSSC) is to carry out. However, due to COVID-19 measures that were still put in place during the planning of our VIA, we had to carry out our VIA remotely instead of going down to the school to physically host the activity planned. The ICs planned a range of exciting activities for the girls at GSSC to enjoy, ranging from arts and crafts, baking and to games. The rest of the batch helped to film two videos, one regarding hygiene in the kitchen and the other about baking cookies. These instructional videos were then sent to GSSC to help them in their facilitation of the baking segment. We were split into two teams to work on the videos, and I was part of the team filming the hygiene video. Our batch agreed to meet up one day at one of our batchmates' houses to complete the filming of both videos. I think that we were very productive and efficient as we managed to finish the filming in two to three hours. Once the filming had been completed, the snippets were then handed over to the editors who then pieced all the clips together and added the final touches to the videos. This experience was a very fulfilling one to me as it has been a while since I have had the opportunity to engage in such VIA activities and this has also allowed me to bond with my batchmates especially after not having many opportunities to do so during the COVID-19 pandemic. I hope that the students at GSSC have enjoyed the activities that we have planned out and I hope we will have more opportunities to participate in similar VIA activities in the future.


All in all, I believe that our batch had enjoyed ourselves tremendously and had put in a lot of effort planning and executing the VIA activities as we shared a common goal to allow the children at GSSC to have fun while doing the activities that we had planned for them. 


Here are some photos of the children at GSSC having fun taking part in the activities: 


Published by: 

Pok Jing 

53 届 Secretary


No comments: