Searching for?

12 May 2023

Skills Training, 12 May 2023

 Hi Guides!


Today is our last official 集合 with our 54th 届 Year 4s :( We had Mass Change to get ready for photo taking and after that, we sang some campfire songs to prepare ourselves for the 55th Anniversary Campfire!


Mass Change

Mass Change aims to get Guides ready for photo taking. They will also be able to train Guides on their sense of urgency and their 制服礼节s. 


Reflection from a Year 1 in P2:

On 12 May, we were given 10 minutes for Mass Change to change into 全制 and 集合 back to GSL level 1. We combined with P1 for the mass change. We rushed to the Performing Arts Centre toilet, not realising it was the wrong toilet and we were supposed to go to the level 3 Year 1 toilet. However, since we were given a short amount of time, we just changed there. Since it was our first time changing into 全制, we were a little lost. While I was trying to put on my skirt, I realised I could not find it. My hanger had nothing on it. There were many skirts on the bench, hence I did not know which one was mine. I think a girl from Patrol 1 took my skirt as her hanger had a skirt on it after she put on a skirt. However, she insisted on it being hers so I just wore her skirt. After changing into her 全制, Yi Ting helped me with my scarf and belt to make it look presentable. After that, we rushed back down after putting our 全制 in 1L classroom. Overall, I think that though we could have been faster, my first mass change was a pleasant experience.


Reflection from a Year 2 in P3:

The Girl Guides Mass Change was an experience that I must admit I did not particularly enjoy. The chaos that ensued as we frantically rushed up and down, trying to change our attire, left me feeling mildly frustrated. While there were some positive aspects to the event, overall, there was definitely room for improvement. In my haste to change, I found myself fumbling over every little thing. From pinning my badges back on because they had fallen out, to struggling to fasten my hidden buttons properly, it seemed like everything that could go wrong did. I even managed to pin my badges wrongly, which was something I should not be doing as a senior. To make matters worse, I completely neglected the fact that there were junior Guides who may have needed assistance.  I somehow was able to overlook them fumbling and being confused about every single thing, or being clueless about where to go, what to do, what to expect, etc.  Looking back, I felt guilty for not providing much help to them and being only concerned about helping myself. My scarf also looked very weird as I did not iron the triangles properly. Due to all that chaos, we ended up 过时ing. We also got scolded for not being seniors that rendered assistance when our juniors needed help, instead only being concerned about ourselves. This was probably an event that I would remember for a long time.

While the Girl Guides Mass Change had its flaws, it also served as a lesson for me. It highlighted the importance of attention to detail, patience, and consideration for others. Moving forward, I will strive to be more organized and composed in similar situations, ensuring that I not only take care of my own needs but also extend a helping hand to those around me.


Reflection from a Year 3 in P6:

On our last 集合 on 12 May, we had our first Mass Change with the Year 1s. As Year 3s, we should have taken better care of Year 1s. We should have waited for them instead of rushing to grab our 全制s and running to the toilet which they might not even know where. This mistake of ours lead to several Year 1s being lost and not knowing which toilet they were supposed to change in, causing us to 过时 by a lot. Since it was the Year 1s' first time Mass Changing, they would need more guidance from the Year 2s and Year 3s. During Mass Change, I feel that our sense of urgency has improved but there is still room for improvement because we still had to ask for time extension. We need to make sure that at least one person from each patrol can ask for a time extension. When we Mass Changed back into PE attire, we remembered to wait for the Year 1s and asked for time extension on time. Overall, our sense of urgency can be improved and we should also 报时 more while we are changing to take note of the time so that we are able to ask for time extension on time. 


Campfire Songs

This activity aims to teach Guides campfire songs to prepare them for the 55th Anniversary Campfire. Year 1s will also be exposed to new Guides songs that they did not hear before.


Reflection from a Year 1 in P4:

During the Campfire Songs activity, we got to sing and dance with our patrol mates and it was an enjoyable experience. While learning the songs, we fostered stronger bonds with each other. After learning a few songs, each patrol had to perform the songs in front of everyone. The songs that our patrol learnt were Father Abraham, Thousand-legged Worm, My Side and Edelweiss.

Learning the songs was a bit challenging for us Year 1s at first, as we kept forgetting the lyrics of the song and the dance moves. But after a while of practising, we got better at it. When we were done learning the songs we had to perform, our seniors taught us other campfire songs and we had a lot of fun. During the performance, it was very exciting as everyone else watching would sing the songs along with the patrol performing. We would also cheer very loudly for the patrol performing so that they would not feel nervous. It was tiring but it was also very worth it. We learnt that we must always cheer the 团 on to help each other persevere and support each other. Although the campfire songs are a still bit new to us, we will continue to practice them and we hope to sing more campfire songs in the future.



Reflection from a Year 2 in P5:

Our Patrol was given two songs to learn, which are Red River Valley and Edelweiss. The first song we learned was Edelweiss. After we learned the lyrics and understood the meaning behind the song’s soft and humble tone, I started to like the song. The song was also accompanied by simple hand actions that I found fun to do. The singer praises the flower for its beauty and reveals the emotional attachment and love the character has for his homeland, which touched me and made me imagine how it would feel to wake up to such a beautiful scene that would make me fall in love with it at first sight. The next song, Red River Valley, is also another song that was soft and touching. The lyrics of the song depict a heartfelt farewell and longing for a loved one who is leaving the valley. It captures the bittersweet emotions of farewell and the heartwarming scene of two lovers bidding farewell to each other. It made me emotional as I loved that it represented our love as a patrol, but it reminded me of the sadness that we will be going through during PDP when the Year 4s would leave us. Overall, it was a fun experience as we not only got to learn new songs but also sing and perform them as a patrol.



Reflection from a Year 3 in P1:

For the 集合on 12 May, it was our last official 集合, and the section after photo-taking was the practising of campfire songs for the 55th Anniversary Campfire. For my patrol, some songs we sang were My Bonnie, BP Spirit, Guiding Light, and Chik Chik Gole. I had a lot of fun singing the songs with my patrol, and all of us definitely tried to make the most of it because it was our last official 集合with the current 领导层. When singing the songs, I realised that some of us were quite unfamiliar with some of the songs, especially our juniors. To solve this problem, we should use the lash training sessions on Wednesday mornings to help our juniors familiarise themselves with the Guides' songs and their lyrics. Another thing I think we had to work on more was the hand actions for some songs since we were unfamiliar with the small details. In the end, we managed to work those out. I think we worked together well during this activity and everyone was quite participative, which was great. When it came to the performance, I was quite proud because most of us remembered the small details of the actions and lyrics of the songs. One thing I thought we could improve on, however, was our focus when we were practising the songs, since sometimes some people would get a little carried away, and our seniors had to remind us to focus on practising the songs. Overall, it was a fun, enjoyable and very memorable experience. 



Hope everyone had fun bonding and learning new songs!

Published by:
Yuanxin
54 届 Secretary

No comments: