Searching for?

4 April 2014

COJ 2014/Total Defence Course, 7th Mar

Hi Guides!

On 7th March, the Year 3 Guides and Scouts had their annual COJ. COJ, or Combined Obstacle Journey, is an OJ which the Year 3s go through in preparation for PLTC, which will be held in May/June, and the eventual handover of leadership roles. This also gives them a chance to interact more with their fellow Guides/Scouts, which will be useful in planning future combined activities such as CCA Orientation.

At 1420, the Year 3 trainees and involved Year 4s 集合-ed in front of the auditorium. After a short briefing, the trainees set off for their stations. Some of the stations were more PT-based while others tested the trainees' hard and soft skills.



















After completing all the stations, the patrols went to 集合 at the GSL while the Station Masters totaled up the scores. Following that, the respective Station Masters went up to give a general debrief of the patrols' performance at their stations. Finally, there was a short prize presentation before break-off.









Year 3s, we hope that you have learnt from this experience and will work on your weak areas so that your performance will be better during PLTC. 加油!

Here is a reflection from a Year 3 Guide:
Overall, I did not expect myself to pull through COJ. But somehow, I managed to last for the COJ and surprisingly, the whole process was fun.The prep week for COJ was rather interesting as many funny things happened and as we start to bond as a patrol. Inspection went off to a bad start as we did not communicate and made a few mistakes along the way. However, overall I think that both Year 3 Guides and Scouts can work and communicate quite well. I was really happy that our layout was rather neat and we are able to cheer and work as a patrol as I was rather worried that we might not work well with the Scouts. Well, all’s well that ends well!

Although I was scared that I would pull my patrol down, I'm glad that I did not, I think. The whole COJ had provided me with a new experience and I have to say that it was a good one. I had lots of fun and I am proud of both the patrol’s and my own achievement, even though there were many tough times. Although we made lots of mistakes, both big and small, along the way, I am glad that we are able to work and communicate as a team and also progress as a team. However, there are of course still rooms for improvements and I hope that next time no matter in 集合 or in PLTC, I hope that I can always try to do my best both for myself and for my patrol mates.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, the Year 1s and 2s went to the Singapore Discovery Centre for their Total Defence Bronze and Silver Courses respectively. Here's what some of them have to say:
Reflections from a Year 1: I went to the Singapore Discovery Centre on Friday and it was indeed interesting.  We went to the army museum where we learnt many new things. We got to know more about the five pillars of defence: Civil Defence, Military Defence,  Psychological Defence, Economic Defence and Social Defence. I learnt what each Defence is and the importance of each Defence. In summary,  I learnt many new things and I am really grateful to be able to go on the trip. I really enjoyed myself during that few hours. 

Reflections from a Year 2: It was a really enriching and fun experience. I got to know more about the 5 Defences: Psychological Defence, Economic Defence, Civil Defence, Social Defence and Military Defence. We were split into groups thus I got to bond more with my batchmates. The activities conducted were engaging and interesting. We enjoyed playing the games and also learn many new things. There were 5 zones, each were one of the 5 Defences. The 1st zone was on Economic Defence. It didn’t really cover much on that but mainly about what the 5 Defences were, why Total Defence was formed and what it is. This gave us a general idea about what Total Defence was and also broadened our knowledge. I have learned much more about Total Defence from this station. The 2nd zone was Military Defence, where some of us got to try the SAR-21 gun. From this zone, we learned that Military Defence is really important when a crisis comes. Not only does the army have to be prepared, all of us must also be vigilant. We can all play a part in this Defence, so as to keep the country safe. The 3rd zone was Civil Defence. There were many stations for us to try, but we only had to complete 4. My group went to the Ready Dag station, the burn and scalds station, the CPR station and the fracture station. From this zone, we learnt that there were many First Aid skills to learn and we could apply these skills if we see anybody injured. The 4th zone was Psychological Defence. We had to read a few people’s past experiences and infer their attitude towards their life and how they overcame some of their obstacles. From this zone, I learnt that no matter what challenges we faced, we should always have a positive attitude. It is through mistakes and experiences where we improve and learn. The last zone was Social Defence. There were games for us to play like chapteh, hula hoop and picture game. These games involve all of our group members, teaching us the importance of teamwork within a society and a community. In times of difficulties, everybody has to work together in order to be more efficient. Not only must we only care about ourselves, we must also help and think for others. Through this whole Total Defence course, I have gained much more knowledge on the importance of Total Defence and the purpose of it. I have also learned many values which I can apply in my life. I hope there will be such opportunities again as not only I could interact and be closer with my batch mates, I have also leaned new things along the way. This Total Defence course was definitely a great experience!:)

No comments: