Searching for?

17 July 2016

Skills Training, 29 April 2016


Hello Guides!! (:

(apologies for the late posting of this)

For this 集合, a year 1 and year 3 were required to pair up to build a tripod with 3 顶脚s in 25 minutes. The year 1s were blindfolded and the year 3s were not allowed to tie any of the lashes. This was to train their camaraderie and communication skills.







Reflections from a year 3…
It was rather challenging, especially for an impatient person like me, as I had to be patient and direct my Y1 very specifically. I tried to help her by guiding her hands step by step but apparently it wasn't allowed and I was at a loss since my verbal expression skill aren't very adequate. However, I tried my best to explain and she tried her best to understand me , with multiple wrong instructions and 'huh?'s, and we were able to complete our task. Through the course of the activity, I had realised the challenges faced while leading, an indicative of the effectiveness of the activity.

Reflections from a year 1…
I feel that last Friday’s 集合 was especially meaningful for me as I feel that constructing the tripod blindfolded was a good way to put our abilities to the test and it makes sure that we know the basics of tying lashes. Furthermore, it teaches us to work under pressure and requires us to stay calm while completing a task. Although I did manage to complete my lashes on time, I feel that I still have room for improvement and I should practice more often. Finally, I was very happy that my senior was very patient with me and when I made mistakes, she corrected me and explained how I could have done better. In short, this entire exercise not only allowed me to learn from my mistakes and work under pressure, it also teaches us about teamwork. I really enjoyed last Friday’s 集合and I hope that we will have more of such exercises in the future.


Afterwards, they were split into 3 groups where they had to build different types of bridges with the proposals given to them for








Reflections from a year 3…
Throughout the process of building the bridge, we initially had slow progress, but sped up after that. When it was the year 3's turn to swap out, we often would get impatient and sometimes frustrated at the year ones because they were quite inefficient at times. However, we always tried to stay patient, and teach them the lashes while finishing the structure promptly. Overall, this is a fruitful activity as it allowed us to train our leadership and communication skills, as well as our stamina during the PT. I really enjoyed it as well because the structures had unique designs which made it interesting and fun.
 

Hope both the year 1s and year 3s benefitted from this session!

Cheers,
Michelle
47th Batch Secretary

No comments: