Searching for?

5 August 2019

Patrol Activity, 05 August 2019

Hello Guides!

Here are some of the reflections from patrol members on this week’s Patrol Activity!


Reflection from a Year 1 of Patrol 1:
I feel that the second Patrol Activity has been very meaningful as I got to brush up on my knowledge on building an Emergency Shelter and Baggage Rack. I have realised the importance of time management and how we should plan our time well in order to be able to complete all the tasks given. I have also learnt that although we have to fully utilise our manpower, we should not split ourselves into too many groups and try to do too many things at once. This has caused us to only have 2 people building the Emergency Shelter at first. This resulted in us not having enough time to complete it on time. In addition, as we did not plan from the start, we could not complete the Baggage Rack in time as well. I hope to have more Patrol Activities similar to this in the future so I will get used to the ways and methods we can adapt in order to meet the standard timings.


Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 1: 
For Patrol Activity, we had to perform basic first-aid on patrol members and then build 3 structures - a dome tent, an Emergency Shelter and finally a Baggage Rack. As we were slightly confident in our first-aid knowledge, we got over the first-aid activity quickly. After that, we had to decide on the order of which structure we were supposed to build first. The main purpose of the activity was teach us the importance of setting our priorities straight and also coach us on the importance of manpower allocation. However, we decided to attempt to build all 3 structures at the same time. We have made an assumption that each structure had enough manpower to build it. On the other hand, we have also realised that we have brought down an uncompleted dome tent down for the activity and thus faced difficulty setting it up. We have also spent over 20 minutes to build a simple emergency shelter, which was disappointing as the standard timing for an emergency shelter was 3 minutes. I hope to learn from my mistakes and cut down the timing for building a emergency shelter as the 20 minutes wasted was unacceptable. The results of spending 20 minutes on a simple emergency shelter led to there not being enough time for us to complete a proper baggage rack. This could have been avoided. On the bright side, I was heartened to know that my Year 1s are starting to take the initiative to ask us, the Year 2s, on what they could do to contribute to the building process. Overall, the patrol activity was fun and very fulfilling and I have learnt a lot from the activity.





Reflection from a Year 1 of Patrol 2:
On Monday, we had Patrol Activity and the first thing we did was for the year 2s to teach the year 1s about the compass and pacings. Since our patrol's compass was spoilt we used Patrol 3's compass. I think it was quite fun learning about the compass and pacings but 1 thing was that the part we were supposed to turn that was on the outer side of the compass was very hard to turn. Then we played a game that involved trekking signs and the compass pacings. We had to collect blue post-its along the way to figure out how to save 1 of our patrol members that were going to ‘die’ in half an hour based on the storyline. After that we went to a classroom to collect pink post its and solve them together with the blue ones. There were many things suddenly happening and we had to multitask but in the end we could not successfully multitask and solve all the post its. We also did not know how to build a catapult properly. I think this was a good activity as I learnt many things.

Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 2:
During the Patrol Activity, we used our compass and our knowledge on trekking signs to find clues on post it, which lead to solve a keyword. After successfully solving the riddles, we went ahead to the next activity. During this activity, we had to multitask. We had to build a catapult, find riddles, solve riddles and carry out first aid in the same time. We had trouble prioritising our tasks and allocating our manpower. In the end, we did not solve all the riddles and built a wrong catapult which could not work. We should have solve the riddles while building structures. After that, we had broken telephone and patrol corner. I was happy that our Year 1s tried to cheer during broken telephone and end up laughing at the funny answers we gave. It was an enriching Patrol Activity.



Reflection from a Year 1 of Patrol 3:
Monday’s Patrol Activity was pretty fun as we were challenged to build a house with one person leading the team. I got to test my lash skills and although they can meet the timings, I still think they need work as my clove hitches come out sometimes. I think that the lash that needs the most work is the quadpod as whole tying my 木 kept on falling down and my clove hitch kept on falling out as it was not tight enough. Overall, I enjoyed the Patrol Activity and hope to have more like this one :)

Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 3:
For PA, we had lash training and creative gadgeting. We were paired off to practise our lashes, square lash, diagonal lash, tripod and quadpod. The Year 3s gave us feedback and advice which I found very helpful and I got to practise lashes I haven't used in a while. After polishing our lashes skills, we looked for post-its with riddles that held clues for the structure we would be building out of gadget poles. We ended up building a house which was basically a cube connected to a triangular prism. One thing we could have improved on was planning the structure better because we made the cube too big and had to send someone to 团部 to get longer 木 for diagonals.




Reflection from a Year 1 of Patrol 4:
I personally found this week’s Patrol Activity very meaningful. From the lash training, I got to recap on the various lashes that I have learnt in guides. After the Year 3s gave me feedback on my lashes, I was clear of the mistakes that I have made in it and I was able to correct myself and tie a better lash. Before building the Baggage Rack, I was slightly unclear as of how to build it. However, after this Patrol Activity, I am confident that I can build a good Baggage Rack.

Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 4:
For the previous Patrol Activity, we did lash training and built a Baggage Rack. We revised the various knots and lashes and I feel that we should meet up with the Year 1s on Friday morning more often to improve their lashes and ours, to familiarise them with the lashes and make them tighter, especially tripod, netting and rafting. For the Baggage Rack, I think that we need to remember and familiarise ourselves with standard structures because we were not very sure about the structure. We can allocate manpower better and work faster. in the end, our structure was shaky because our diagonals were not tied correctly. the A-架 were not opened equally and some of the lashes were loose. I feel that we should have looked at the big picture and be more responsible by looking out for others, instead of focusing on our own work, because everyone needs to work together for the Baggage Rack to work.





Reflection from a Year 1 of Patrol 5:

Firstly, we went around the MRL to look for post-its and we had to answer the questions on them. I was happy that we managed to solve most of them. Thereafter, we used the logistics that we got for each correct answer to do creative gadgeting. The item had to be symbolic of us Guides. We decided to make a representation of a campfire as we felt that it is representative of our Guides spirit. For this activity, I feel that we did well in terms of being aware of our surroundings when the Year 3s tried to kap our logistics and manpower. I also feel that our lashes were tight and we also did not 过时. However, we could have made use of more of our logistics as we had a lot of leftover logistics after building the 'campfire'. I also learnt the importance of communication as some people could not move and some could not speak. Hence, if we did not communicate beforehand, we may not have been able to complete the structure.


Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 5:
During Patrol Activity, we started off by having to find post-its around the mrl. The post-its had guides questions on them and we were supposed to get the right answer in order to obtain the logistics we needed. I think my patrol did well on this activity as we managed to answer most of the questions. After collecting all the logistics we have earned, we were supposed to do creative gadgeting which represents guides. My patrol built a campfire as it represents the Guiding spirit. Most of our lashes were tight and we did not 过时, however I feel that we should continue to 报时 more often and have constant cheering. Everyone except the assigned Patrol Leader and Patrol Second had ‘disabilities’ putting them at a disadvantage but we managed to communicate well and get our structure up. Hence, I found this Patrol Activity very fun and we all have learnt something from it.





Reflection from a Year 1 of Patrol 6:
For creative gadgeting, it was difficult to come up with the structure as we were not familiar with the standard structure. This made it a little challenging to attempt to come up with a new structure on the spot. And due to the limitations (some of us were unable to do certain tasks) , we took a longer time to complete one lash or had to sit at the side to 报时. Although it was Patrol Activity, we had to 照顾好人和东西. 2 Year 2s and a Year 1 were kapped as they were separated from the patrol. Through this experience, we learnt to stick closer to each other as well as to be more focused on the task in order to finish the structure within the time given.

Reflection from a Year 2 of Patrol 6:
We had combined Patrol Activity this week. I realized how much I was lacking in speed and hard skills. During the first part, we were told to search for post-its and answer questions that have most of its answers from the guides notes. I was pretty quiet, probably because I am not very familiarized with the Guides notes yet. I recognize most of the content, but I am unable to answer the questions. The second part was creative gadgeting, where we were to create a structure representing guides. I felt like I did not participate enough, and was too focused on preventing the seniors from kapping the logistics. This led to us being unable to complete a good structure (it was very basic). Then we had Captains Ball which was really fun, even though it only lasted a while. The last we had was patrol corner, and i got useful feedback from the seniors. I guess it really is important to improve my skills, or it would be hard to do a good job in everything.



We hope everyone had fun!
Published by:
Heather 
51st Batch Secretary

No comments: