Searching for?

11 March 2022

Skills Training, 11 March 2022

 Hello Guides! 


For today’s 集合, we did Standard Gadgeting and Creative Gadgeting. As it was raining heavily, we could not do Pioneering. 


Standard Gadgeting:

For Standard Gadgeting, we recapped on how to build a Baggage Rack. Even though this was a structure the juniors built multiple times, it still gave them an opportunity to improve on their hard skills, and focus on the small aesthetic details of the structure. 


Reflection from a Year 1:

Last CCA session, I learnt how to construct a baggage rack. I had the opportunity to practice the different lashes I had learnt and learn to tie them tighter. I also learnt what netting is and what it is used for. I learnt that the rafting and netting is used for putting things such as bags. I wonder if we are able to build more baggage racks with more layers so that we can put more things on it. I learnt a lot from this activity and find it very useful. I hope to be able to construct such a structure in the future, as it is very interesting.


Reflection from a Year 2:

Our patrol tied a baggage rack in the last 集合. We managed to complete the baggage rack on time, but there were many things that we could improve on. I felt that we could improve a lot on our baggage rack. Our lashes were quite loose and were not very tight. I felt that we could also 报时 more. As a Year 2, I believe that we could set a good example to our juniors by 报时ing more. We could also encourage our juniors, the Year 1s, to 报时 louder. However, we did manage to complete the structure in the assigned time. We also managed to ask for our logistics and manpower back quickly. This is a good thing and I believe that we should keep up the good work. In future baggage rack structures that we build, I hope we will be able to improve the tying of our structures. I hope that we can tie tighter lashes and 报时 more. I look forward to doing a better job in completing the baggage rack in future.


Reflection from a Year 3:

For last week’s 集合, we built a baggage rack. I think it was good to be able to build a baggage rack, as it is the first time the Year 1s are exposed to this standard structure. We also managed to benefit from this experience, as we were able to revise our knowledge on standard structures and identify our areas of improvement in terms of building a baggage rack. This time, we did well in terms of 报时 ing more and also allocating our manpower. However, we realised that some lashes were really loose and we had to 重抽 quite a few times because of that. This resulted in the netting not being finished and the whole structure being rather loose. In addition, the structure was slanted. We will learn from this experience and do more lash training sessions as well as familiarising ourselves with all the standard structures. Even though we did not manage to conduct pioneering and introduce this aspect of Guides to the Year 1s, I think that this experience was still a very fulfilling experience overall. We look forward to the next 集合 and being able to do much better next time.




Creative Gadgeting:

For the Creative component, the juniors were tasked to build a creative structure which represents their patrol. This activity allowed the patrols to express their creativity through designing a unique structure. Since the Year 1s have joined our CCA for quite awhile, they are able to engage more in the discussions of the structure and allows the patrols to bond more.


Reflection from a Year 1:

On Friday, we had the chance to do Creative Gadgeting. The session that day allowed me to improve on my lashes, and I was able to spend time with our patrol mates and form a closer bond with them. This activity allowed us to exercise our creativity, and make something that represents our patrol. We built a Quadpod which represents our strong sense of belongingness to the Guides family. We also formed a 4 to represent our patrol number. During this activity, the seniors also kapped some of our logistics, and I was reminded about how we should 照顾好人,照顾好东西, and how we could politely ask our seniors for the logistics back. I also managed to practise some of the basic lashes when tying this structure. All in all, during this last CCA session of the term, I had a lot of fun! 


Reflection from a Year 2:

During 集合 that day, our Patrol completed the Creative Gadgeting activity. We had to come up with ideas to showcase our Patrol without any use of A-架. Thus, our patrol decided to build a tripod with 顶脚s. Following that, we came up with an idea of using only thirteen 木s to display the thirteen Guides in our Patrol. After completing the tripod, we decided to use short-half bamboos to hang the number five, and 短木 to tie the roman numeral (V) to represent the number of our Patrol. Afterwards, we brainstormed for other ideas that we could add on to our structure and finally, we came up with the idea of chaining thirteen 白绳a to show how united and lovable our patrol is. This activity was extremely enriching for all of us as we learnt how we could include our juniors, the Year 1s, as well as how to guide them along their tying of the lashes and knots. We feel that through this activity, we had the chance to allow our juniors to feel more welcomed and comfortable in the Guides Family, allowing them to feel a better sense of belonging to our Patrol. Hence, we felt that this was an activity that made us closer to each other and feel more connected.


Reflection from a Year 3:

On Friday's 集合, we were tasked to build a creative structure representing our respective patrols using the logistics we had used for the baggage rack earlier. When I heard that we would be doing creative Gadgeting, I felt glad as I enjoyed having the freedom to design my own structure. At the start, my patrol could not come up with an idea quick enough, but in order to save time, we just decided to tie a tripod first. Eventually, I managed to come up with an idea to build a 'P3 Christmas tree' with our tripod, and add a triangle to our 'Christmas tree' as my rationale was that a triangle had 3 sides, and it would represent my patrol, P3. I tied a triangle using 3 short half bamboos with a batchmate and a Year 1 junior. We chatted a bit and managed to bond while tying the triangle. With the atmosphere lightened and creative juices flowing, I instructed my Year 2 juniors to attach the triangle at the top of the tripod. I did a bit of netting on the triangle afterwards. To utilise our logistics as much as possible, I decided to add more layers of 定脚s using 中短木 to represent the layers of our Christmas tree, but we did not have enough 中短木, hence we had to ask from another patrol. We did our final touch-ups on our structure while chatting, before the time was up and we had to 集合. I have come to cherish my patrol very much and I am very comforted by Friday's Creative Gadgeting, as I managed to bond and laugh with my patrolmates, and I hope that we can make more meaningful memories for many years to come.


 


All in all, we hope that everyone had fun and managed to revise the basic lashes. 


Published by: 

Pok Jing 

53 届 Secretary 


No comments: