Searching for?

23 March 2024

Hike, 23 March 2024

 Hi Guides!

During the first weekend of the new term, our Guides Annual Hike was conducted at Fort Canning. The hike consisted of 6 station games all around the park, and we ended the activity off with mass games. Here are some reflections from some Guides about their day!

Reflection from a Year 1 in P2:

During the hike at Fort Canning, I learnt a lot more about the people in our patrol. It also helped me to open up to everyone and also get closer to Shermaine. The game that was the most memorable for me was when I carried Shermaine and Wan Ting as it was fun! I was surprised that Wan Ting managed to carry Shermaine and run three rounds. It was a super hot day. I also learnt more about Singapore's trading history at En Xii’s station game which helped me in my history WA2. Another station game that I also enjoyed was when we had to play a game of charades. We had to be able to understand each other and effectively communicate without making any noise. It was really funny to see us act and Wan Ting and Cheryl’s random guesses. Apart from getting to know our patrol mates better, I also made new friends from the other patrols and got to know them more. Overall, this experience going to Fort Canning was very enjoyable and memorable, and I’m beyond excited for the next few annual hikes to come!

Reflection from a Year 1 in P4:

On 23 March, we Year 1s had our first annual hike. I can remember my friends and I waiting for the upcoming hike with our seniors. We gathered at Fort Canning and carried out our activities as a patrol. I fondly remember a few activities that were carried out there. The first one was leading our patrol mates around the lighthouse. From this activity, we learned how to communicate with one another effectively to complete the challenge and we also learned to trust each other to guide us around since the patrol mate at the front had her eyes closed. The seniors also made the game more exciting by posing more obstacles for us. This also taught us to persevere through challenges and difficulties. The second game was about getting the marble into the bucket with bamboo sticks. The hardest part was to get over humps on the bamboo sticks. However, after many tries, we managed to get the marble quite a far distance, just not into the bucket. I believe that if we were given a little more time, we would surely be able to get the marble into the bucket. The whole event was not only about games, we also had a chance to learn about the history of Singapore, which gave us more knowledge of early Singapore. From this experience, I learnt to persevere and do my best. I also learnt the importance of teamwork and effective communication between members.

Reflection from a Year 3 in P1:

On 23 March, we had our Annual Hike at Fort Canning. As the area was unfamiliar to us, we got lost looking for our first Station Game, but subsequently managed to find it with the help of our seniors. There were 6 Station Games in total, many of them involving team-building activities and trivia quizzes. As I was the only Year 3 present, I had to constantly backtrack to make sure we did not leave any of our juniors behind. Overall, the games were very fun and creative, allowing us to bond as a patrol while also testing our Guides knowledge. Interestingly, there were many chickens at Fort Canning, which was a rare sight for us and caused a lot of excitement. The hike allowed us to experience nature amidst our generally sedentary lifestyles, allowing us to participate in outdoor activities in a fun and engaging way. After Station Games, we played a few rounds of Mass Games. Overall, I feel that this hike really helped our Year 1s to open up and involve themselves more, with P1 winning the overall prize for most points earned in the end. It was certainly a very memorable experience that I am grateful for.

Reflection from a Year 3 in P3:

Fort Canning is a place that I used to frequent when I was younger so I was thrilled when I learned that our Annual Hike would take place there. On the day of our hike, despite the heat and humidity, my patrol and I were really excited. Our journey started at the station where we took notes on the archeological site and answered the questions posed later. We struggled here, focusing too much on the details and not covering enough ground. I realised that my patrol could have done better in this aspect, and we should have had better time management. Moving on, we tackled the ‘Water Pong x Memory’ game with ease. Following the game, the next stations flew by. I think my favourite activity of the day would be the Lighthouse Challenge where we took turns carrying our Year 1s and avoiding little coloured circles on the ground. Another highlight would be when we were playing the ‘Transfer Ping Pong Ball’ game and we were interrupted by a film crew needing “happy children running” scenes, which we gladly participated in. We ended off the day with 团 games, which were quite exciting and challenging, and finally photo taking. Despite my patrol’s 5th-place finish, I felt accomplished. My efforts to motivate the team, bond with new members, and keep spirits high paid off. This hike strengthened our bond, and I am eager for the next one.





Hope everyone had fun today exploring the park, and also bonded well with their patrolmates and batchmates during the hike!

Published by:
Chin Yan Tong
55届 Secretary

No comments: