Searching for?

10 January 2012

Orientation 2012

Dear Guides,
here are some pictures on orientation :) 
Our Ferris Wheel and the guides who helped made it possible :)

Gladiator


Our VIP: Dr Foo
Orientation this year was held on the 5th of January. It was an important day for all the Uniform Groups and Performing Arts CCA. It was the day when we would all put in all our hard work and effort so as to showcase our best, in the hope that the Year 1s would like to join our family and be a part of us. As per the previous years, we teamed up with the scouts to present a shared guiding and scouting spirit.

We split ourselves up into various committees to concentrate on the various aspects of guiding and scouting. There were three huge structures, each managed by their own committee: gateway, Ferris wheel and kitchen shelter. Performances include Fireman’s ladder, Monkey climb as well as Sour Grapes. Finally, the games committee helped add on to the fun and decoration committee helped with the signs and aesthetic appeal.

A performance by the scouts -- Sour Grapes
 The gateway was the first thing that the Year 1s will see when they approach our part of the school. It is to welcome them and is a tradition for camps as well. As for the Ferris wheel, it was something new, and really exciting. It can seat four people comfortably and as anticipated, there were long queues to get on. The kitchen shelter is about two storeys high, which we built with spars, rope and arthurs. It was stable enough to climb and comprises a slide as well. Our performance comprises of traditional games. Monkey climb, or 绳桥 was a performance by the guides, Sour grapes by the scouts and Fireman's ladder was a combined effort by both scouts and guides. In 绳桥, members of the patrol will swing across a horizontal rope ladder one by one using only her hands and knees, going as fast as possible. In Sour grapes, or 挂领, the scouts will hoist himself up a vertical spar, using only bare hands and feet, and hang a scarf at the top. As for Fireman's ladder, members of a patrol have to climb up a ladder and flip across the top. All these games not only require physical strength and endurance, but also mental as well. It helps us strengthen our bonds as we cheer each other on. In Games this year was not much like previous years as we got more large scale structures. There was a slide, ball toss with a catapult, gladiators, archery and Tarzan (where we held on to a rope and swung back and forth from a table). Decoration was very important as well, since our props were spars and rope, which might give a rustic feel. Yet, the juniors will come to appreciate the beauty and wonder of the tall structures we built ourselves.

Swing!

All of us were mixed up in different orientation committees and this let us work with different people and bond further as a batch and as a company. Below are a couple of reflections on orientation from people from different committees.


Gateway
Orientation was really enjoyable and it taught us a lot of things. As I am in gateway, during orientation prep, we had to try out different designs for the gateway. During the preparations, we met some problems with the design and had to keep changing it. However, we managed to come up with one final design which was accepted. The orientation was delightful as we met many of the year1s, and it prepared us for the oncoming year.

It started off with the year ones coming in. Being an usher, I led the year1s around the different stations. The year1s were amazed at the structures that were built, and some were really enthusiastic and tried out whatever they could. I feel that the orientation increased the bond between one another as we helped each another out. We further improved our skills during preparation too. My hope for the New Year is that I would be able to contribute more to guides and learn even more.

Ferris Wheel <3
Ferris Wheel
On Thursday, 5 January, we had our CCA orientation which was a chance to showcase our CCA to the year 1s. We had several days of orientation preparation to try out the structures and ensure that the orientation run smoothly.
For this orientation, we were also split into various committees and I was in the Ferris wheel committee. For us, I think that the most important thing is that our lashes had to be very tight as it had to support the weight of four people sitting on it. As a result, we had to keep retying our lashes many times. Another thing is that we had to keep on measuring, like the metal pole should be in the middle of the Ferris wheel etc. I think that our efforts really paid off as the year 1s were very amazed by the Ferris wheel.
When the year 1s came on the actual orientation, we welcomed them with a loud cheer and the ushers brought them to the various stations. Many of them were impressed that we had tied the structures from scratch and they had a fun time trying them out and playing the games. At the end, the year 1s settled down for the performance and we could tell that they really like it. For the second batch of year 1s, we had to speed up as some classes arrived slightly later. Also, some of their parents came to the orientation as well; we could see that they also leave with a good impression of guides. Generally, I think that the orientation was very successful and I hope that the year 1s had a very enjoyable time.

Year 1s queueing up for the slide at the kitchen shelter!
Kitchen Shelter
On 27th and 29th December 2011, we had our orientation prep in school! I was in the kitchen shelter committee and this year, the I/Cs decided to try something new by building a spiral staircase, and a slide from the top level of the kitchen shelter. Firstly, we had to tie the main frames and raise it up while others tie spars across to connect the both sides together. At this point of time, it is extremely important that the people at the four corners 定脚 well and hold the frames in place, as any shifting could result in an unstable structure. After that, we added the canvas sheets at the top as well as the sides, before building our spiral staircase and the slide simultaneously. To finish it off, we tied the platform for the top level and attached the slide to the kitchen shelter. Throughout the entire orientation prep, there was definitely room for improvement as the lashes we tied were not tight and we 过时 repeatedly. Another point to note was that during 拆掉, we should try to move quickly yet ensure that safety is our utmost priority to prevent any accidents from occurring. Overall, I learnt a lot of things throughout the orientation prep and I hope that we manage to wow the year 1s with our spectacular showcase of what we usually do in guides/scouts! J In 2012, may there be many new members joining us, and may DHSCOY continue to excel year after year!

Our fire:)
Outdoor Cooking 
During orientation prep days I was assigned to be in the outdoor cooking committee and as this was the first time that I was in outdoor cooking I was pretty excited. What I realized was that it was quite similar to the gadgets committee last year and I found myself tying similar structures such as kitchen table and gadgets that would be used in the kitchen. As usual I had much opportunity to improve my lashes especially after the long holiday break and I was glad that over the days our pace of work increased rapidly and we could finish our structures in an even shorter amount of time. Also, through these few days of prep I realized the importance of measuring because some parts of our kitchen dresser were quite slanted and often we had to make much major adjustments before we could fit in the table board. During orientation itself, I had the opportunity to be an usher and I had a great time with the year 1s bringing them around even though some of them were quite shy and did not really dare to speak up but I felt really pleased when they told me that they had enjoyed themselves and would reconsider joining guides.
Fireman's Ladder Performance
Fireman’s Ladder
We had orientation preparation on the 27th and 28th of December. This was my first year involved in this and was both excited and a bit worried as I did not know what to expect. I soon realized that I was in the fireman's ladder committee. I did not know what it was, but little did I expect it to be a performance item. On the 27th, we assembled in front of the MRL, and spilt up into our own separate committees. The structure that we built was very simple, like a ladder. I then realized how important it is to tie my lash very tightly; it was for everyone's safety. If the lash was not tied tight enough, it will move when we step on it and can be very dangerous too! Next came the difficult part, we had to swiftly climb up the ladder and flip across the top rank. In the first few tries, I fall a couple of times; it was not easy. But finally, I managed to flip over. However, I celebrated too early – I found out that to make the performance look nice, your legs had to be straight and joined together when they are in the air. After a while I got the hang of it.

At the end of the first day, we had to help the other committees dissemble their structures, it was a bit sad to see the grand gateway, the fun Ferris wheel and the cool kitchen shelter go. The second day was about the same as the first day except for the fact that there was a dry-run rehearsal. I was extremely nervous with everyone watching, and I slipped and did not do as well. After much practice, I overcame that fear. School started and soon it was 5th January. It was the day! The day we have been waiting for! We practiced for a while and went to help the other committees like gateway, kitchen shelter, mini games, Ferris wheel and decoration. Before the performance started, I helped out at mini games; I was to give out the prizes to the year ones. When I saw them playing on the structures, I felt proud to be a guide.

The performance came to the end and the best part came, we were allowed 20 minutes to play on the structures! Most of us went to the mini games and I really had fun! This orientation really let me bond with my fellow batch mates and allowed me to feel a sense of achievement.

I remembered myself as a year 1 last year; I never really knew that so much work was put into orientation preparation. Only after I had experienced it myself, then I realize that it was not easy but required hard work. So I hope that the new batch of year 1s will appreciate what we did for them and work even harder in guides.
LOVE GUIDES<3

Monkey Climb
Sheng Qiao Performance
Orientation was generally a success. I was in one of the performances, 绳桥, also known as monkey climb. 绳桥was fun to be in, as it was a new experience. I have never tried it before, and it was a fun and interesting experience. I think that orientation was good, seeing the year ones have fun, trying on stuff like gladiator and the Ferris wheel. The days of orientation preparation also allowed us to work with people in other patrols and levels, and I got to know more people better. This year, it is not compulsory for the year ones to put at least two uniformed groups as their CCA choices, however I do hope that it does not lessen the amount of year one intake this year, after all the hard work and effort we put in.

Tarzan
Games
The orientation was quite fun. I was in the mini games committee and the whole committee set up different games during orientation preparation for the year ones to try out. In order to make it a success, we had a total of four days to prepare before the actual orientation. This allowed us to try out a couple of different games, to find out which were the ones that allowed the year 1s to experience maximum fun. I was also an usher and all ushers promoted guiding, hoping that year one girls would be interested and choose Guides as their CCA. Year ones were brought to different stations to have a look at exhibits and structures built by guides and scouts. There was also a performance for the year ones and I think the performers were really impressive. I hope the new guides would be enthusiastic and cooperative during every patrol activity and also do their best during guides next year.

Decoration
5 of January was CCA Orientation Day. I was very excited as we have been preparing for this day for a long time. For this orientation, we were split into different committees and I was allocated to the decoration committee. In the decoration committee, though we do not need to tie all the structures using spars like the others which were physically more tiring, we still need to put in a lot of effort on designing the banners and posters, which will be put up in different structures. We had to concentrate and focus as we carefully paint the decorations, making sure that we did not paint outside the lines. However, hard work pays off, I was very proud when I saw the beautiful decorations being displayed in different stations, such as the big ‘ Join Scouts and Guides’ banner hanging on the kitchen shelter. Also, as we had people from different patrols in the committee, I got to know more people and even make new friends.


On the orientation day itself, I helped to usher the year 1s to the different stations. It was really fun and enriching as we could interact with the year 1s and share with them out experiences in guides. Most of them were amazed by the Ferris wheel as even though it was built mostly by using spars, it is very safe and they had a great time riding on it. Besides the Ferris wheel, they also found the two storey kitchen shelter, which was built completely by just spars, very cool as they can climb onto the second floor and slide down from the side. I felt that orientation was a success as the year 1s got to know more about guides and at the same time, they had lots of fun. I really look forward to seeing my juniors in the newyear and hope that they would enjoy guides as much as I do!!
Our mascot! :D
It had been a great experience going through orientation and the preparations together. We all have our fingers crossed that there will be lots of girls joining our guiding family. It is also my hope that our new juniors will be enthusiastic for the next year, we definitely are!

No comments: