Searching for?

2 September 2017

Pioneering, 11th August

Hello Guides!

This 集合 was a rather unique one as the Year 2s were required to prepare their structures for pioneering beforehand. The Year 1s and 2s were split into 3 groups, and a PL (Patrol Leader) and a PS (Patrol Second) were appointed for each group. The groups had to plan the structure, draw it out and create a proposal to submit to their respective group ICs. The ICs helped to guide the Year 2s along in their proposals and formed a point of contact between the Overall ICs and the Year 2s. The structures had to relate to the theme of Tourist Attractions.


Group 1 decided to build the Great Pyramids of Giza, while Groups 2 and 3 decided to build the Great Wall of China, and the Petronas Towers respectively.


Reflection from a Year 2 of Group 1:

I think that being able to be a PL was a really amazing and fun experience. It was nice working with the other Year 2s to come up with the proposal. At first, when I heard that I was going to be the PL, I was honestly quite stressed. I was afraid that I would not be able to plan everything out properly and that there would be a misuse of manpower. However, last Friday turned out slightly better than expected. We were able to finish the structures on time and the lashes were pretty tight too. I was proud of our group members as I think they had done an amazing job tying the lashes. I think that it was a meaningful experience for me as I really learned how to better manage my time and manpower. I also had a fun time as I was able to communicate well with my group members. Even though we were faced with some problems, we were able to discuss about it and make the best of whatever we had. I think it was because of the good communication between the members that allowed the activity to progress smoothly, which thus allowed everyone to have an enjoyable time together.


















Reflection from a Year 1 of Group 2:
In my opinion, I found the pioneering session on Friday fun as we got to build structures that were not commonly built in Guides. I find the idea of building structures in the form of tourist attractions unique and that it sets itself apart from the usual structures we build. In addition, the batches were split into three groups randomly and I managed to make new friends from my batch along the way. I also managed to become closer to my classmates through this activity. However, I feel that I need to practise my lashes more as some of them were pretty loose and occasionally, they overlapped one another. Also, I felt that I should have a greater sense of urgency and learn to tie lashes more quickly. Although I found this 集合 pretty tiring, I enjoyed myself a lot and I hope that there will be more of such activities in the future.















Reflection from a Year 2 of Group 3:
During Friday’s pioneering session, it was undoubtedly very stressful. This was especially so as my group’s progress on our structure was slow and our manpower, before the Year 1s came, was low. Additionally, the construction of the structure did not go according to plan as the structure was unstable and kept tilting and we had to use extra 木 to ensure that it would not collapse. It was also slightly frustrating as on several occasions, my voice was not loud enough to be carried over to all the group members and I had to repeat what I said to inform everyone of our current plan. Furthermore, only being able to watch the construction of the structure and directing people instead of helping tie the lashes, was agonising as I wanted to be able to help my group in other ways than simply telling them what to do.














Hope this 集合 gave everyone a chance to revise their lashes and also learn something new!


Published By:

Arielle
49th Batch Secretary

No comments: