Searching for?

21 February 2022

Skills Training, 21 February 2022

 Hi Guides! 

It is counting down one more day to World Thinking Day! As such, we had our last session of Contingent Training and Dry Runs as a 团 with the Scouts, instead of the usual Patrol Activity on Mondays. 


Contingent Training: 

For today’s 集合, we focused only on perfectioning our Foot Drills, making sure our Contingents were up to standard. 


Reflection from a Year 1:  

Last Monday, We had another foot drill training to prepare us for the contingent the next day. This was a new experience to me as I never thought we needed to practise so many rounds. It was also my first time participating in such a large scale event after joining Guides. Hence, I was a bit anxious about it and I felt that each time we practiced the contingent drills, it was a new learning opportunity for me. Throughout all the practices, I always felt amazed at the organisation and did my best to memorise all the Malay commands. I tried to learn as much as possible from the seniors. They were very kind and friendly  and taught us the commands patiently. When the Contingent Commander left for a while to 集合,I volunteered to command the most difficult part of the string of instructions. When I forgot to say "semula ", we all had a laugh as another girl said it to me that it sounded like "samurai". All in all, it was definitely not something of ordinary identity, and I think I would also have fun next time.


Reflection from a Year 2:

On 21 February, we had contingent practice for World Thinking Day. Foot drills and marching were quite new to our batch and it was our first time participating in the contingent in 全制. At first, it was hard for me to remember the meaning of the commands as they were all in Malay and all the Year 2s were quite confused with the steps. For example, we did not know what leg to check. However, as our seniors patiently guided us, we learnt that we had to check the leg behind after turning and if we did not need to turn, “check” the left leg as a default. After some practice, I felt that we were rather in sync and I learned that we needed to “check” our legs at 90 degrees and march with our elbows at 90 degrees in front and 45 degrees when swung to the back. I also learnt that our actions need to be quick and with more energy and enthusiasm. Since this was carried out within the Year 2 batch, I managed to grow closer to my batchmates too. Overall, I feel that this was a great chance to learn from our mistakes and bond with our batchmates. I also feel that there was definitely room for improvement as we could not match the length of our steps during marching even after much practice and we could definitely be more in sync. It was also a fun and refreshing experience. 


Reflection from a Year 3:

The Contingent Training on 21 February was a good chance for us to revise our foot drills. We managed to revise the various commands and overall procedure of the contingent for World Thinking Day. This would be useful for us who would be facilitating the carrying out of World Thinking Day contingent next year as well. Apart from that, we learnt soft skills such as teamwork and camaraderie, which was exceptionally important because one seemingly small mistake such as raising the wrong leg when “checking” can make the entire contingent look disorganised. Teamwork is a conscious effort that all of us have to put in in order for us to achieve good results together and it is relevant in the importance for all of us to stay alert and listen to the timer. We also had to support and look out for one another as standing in the hot sun for a long time made some of our batchmates feel exhausted. We also learnt the importance of clarifying our doubts with our seniors about the various steps beforehand instead of waiting to be corrected as this demonstrates our willingness to be self-directed in our learning. Overall, contingent practice was a rewarding experience that we learnt much from. 


All in all, we hope that everyone is well-prepared and feeling confident about tomorrow’s World Thinking Day Contingent! 


Published by: 

Pok Jing 

53届 Secretary 


No comments: