Searching for?

15 August 2020

Skills Training, 15 August 2020

Hello Guides!

For this week’s 集合, we had a lecture, played some station games and bonded more with our patrol mates through the patrol corner!


Guides Lecture

The main purpose of the Guides Lecture is to teach the Year 1s about the basic information in Guiding such as 礼节, Guides motto and Guides promise. As for the Year 2s, it was to clear any doubts they had as well as to recap the basic 礼节 and Guides information, in addition to the new online 礼节.



Reflection from a Year 2:

For the Guides Lecture, it further corrected my understanding of what Guiding is about. Although I am a Year 2, I still had some things that I was unsure of which were confirmed during the lecture. One of them was things such as what ABCDEO’s every letter stood for. I will definitely obey them and show respect to the guiders and seniors. The presentation gave me more confidence to be able to execute my duties to meet the utmost standards. I also think it helped the Year 1s to better understand what Girl Guides is about as I may have missed out some information while informing them. With this, I can also better educate the juniors about what to do should they forget, as I now fully understand the standards to be met. I did not know all the words of the taps song and this Guides Lecture helped me to confirm the words so I can sing it more accurately the next time we have 集合.

 

Following the Guides Lecture, we had several station games. There were 3 stations: The Camera Challenge, Pictionary and How Well Do You Know Guides. Here are some reflections on the stations.

 

Station 1: The Camera Challenge

This station would require you to turn off all your cameras as it is the test of your patrol’s tacit understanding. Your patrol will have to mute your mics for the first round and turn on your cameras one by one without any two people overlapping. The sequence should be random and should not be according to batch, you will have to restart the round the moment two cameras are on at the same time. 2 minutes will be given for each round and after the 1st round ends, you can turn on your cameras. For the 2nd round, the same rules apply but your mics can be unmuted. Communication only through mics are allowed.


Reflection from a Year 2:

This was a new game for me so I found it really interesting. It consisted of two rounds, one of which we were not allowed to communicate. The round in which we were not allowed to communicate was challenging but we still managed to get it right on the first try. For the second round, we were allowed to communicate. However, I felt that we could have communicated more effectively to make this station easier and completed it more efficiently. From this station, I learnt that communication and teamwork is crucial to archive our end goal as a patrol. Through communicating, we are able to get our ideas across better and things would turn out easier than before. This is something that I will definitely work on throughout my guiding journey.

 

Station 2: Pictionary

Everyone will be given a chance to draw a word that has to do with guides for example, mass tins. When the game starts, everybody except the person drawing has to mute your computer speaker such that you will not be able to hear the station master. When everybody is ready, the station master will tell the person a word and she will be given 30 seconds to draw it out. When 30 seconds is up, you can unmute your speakers. Afterwhich, the person drawing will flash her picture on the screen and the remaining people would have to guess it within 15 seconds. This process will repeat and everybody should be able to take a turn. 


Reflection from a Year 2:

This game was really fun because I have always enjoyed playing Pictionary and this was my first time playing it with my patrol mates online. It was really enjoyable guessing what our patrol mates were drawing even though I was slightly confused at the details of their drawing several times. From this game, I learnt that it is essential to have teamwork within our patrol such that we will be able to cooperate better. In this game, we were also not allowed to communicate verbally. As such, I recognised the importance of verbal communication as it ensures we will be able to get our ideas across clearly and understand us. With this understanding, we will be able to better work together as a team towards our common goals. Most of the words given were also related to Girl Guides which allowed us to have a better understanding of Girl Guides.

 

Station 3: How Well Do You Know Guides

In this station game, the station masters will be asking you a series of questions that are related to Girl Guides. This is to test how much you have learnt from the lecture earlier on. You will be given 30 seconds to answer each question and communication is allowed. One person in the patrol can only answer one question, which means everybody should have a chance to answer at least one question.



Reflection from a Year 2:

This game really tested our knowledge about Girl Guides, mainly what was shared during the lecture. I feel that this was a good game as it could allow the Year 1s to know more about Girl Guides, especially when they have missed CCA for a long time due to the Covid-19 situation. This game also refreshed my memory on Girl Guides such as the motto, Be Prepared. Through this game, our patrol also managed to communicate more and bond with each other, especially when we have not met each other quite some time, as we discussed together about the answers to these questions. I also realised through this game that a team was essential because we will not know all the answers to all the questions all the time. Hence, we will need to also rely on our patrol mates at times. Together as one, we will be able to work more effectively and answer the questions using a shorter amount of time.


Following the station games, we had Patrol Corner!


Patrol Corner

During this time, we managed to catch up with one another. It was also for the Year 1s and Year 2s to clarify their doubts with us. We also did goal setting so that we were clear on what we would like to achieve for the rest of the year and what we hope to improve on.




Reflection from a Year 2:

For Patrol Corner, we reflected on our experience during Saturday's 集合 and during Photo Taking on Friday. I realised that I should practise tying my scarf more often in order to get it right and be able to teach the Year 1s well. I also realised that I should communicate more with my patrol members whenever possible, be it Patrol Corner or during other activities. The setting of goals helped me come to realise what I want to achieve in my guiding journey as a Year 2. I want to hold more responsibility over myself and the Year 1s. To achieve this, I must have self-discipline, commitment and patience. Instead of hoping that the Year 3s will guide and discipline the Year 1s, my batchmates and I should take the initiative to inform the Year 1s of the necessary information first. Overall, the patrol corner really helped me reflect on my guiding journey through the goal setting as well as allowed me to bond more with my patrol.





We hope that through these activities, everyone had picked up something new and enjoyed bonding with their patrols!

 

Published by:

Cefina 

52届 Secretary


No comments: