Searching for?

21 August 2020

Skills Training, 21 August 2020

Hi Guides!
 
During this week’s 集合, we had a lecture, played Kahoot, did mini gadgeting and came up with a batch cheer!
 
Lashes and Knots Lecture
As it has been a few months since the Year 2s have returned to Guides, this serves as a recap for basic knots and lashes, and to emphasize on things to take note when tying lashes or structures. Standard timings are also included to set the standard and remind them that they need to have a sense of urgency even if it's E-CCA. As they have to be the ones teaching the Year 1s how to tie these knots and lashes, this lecture will refresh their memory and slowly integrate them back to guides. The Kahoot was conducted in a game form to involve everyone in the quiz. Misconceptions by juniors could also be cleared up immediately to prevent confusion afterwards.



Reflection from a Year 2
Before the activities on mini gadgeting, we had a lecture on knots and lashes where we recapped all of our basic lashes learned throughout our 1.5 years in guides. It was helpful as it served as a quick revision after a long period of time not practising them due to the Covid-19 situation. It was especially helpful as the lecture slides included instructions on how to tie a quad-pod which I was not very familiar with. Following that, we played a game of Kahoot. It was very fun and insightful especially since this was our first time playing a game of Kahoot to get to better know our knots and lashes. The Kahoot allowed us to quickly revise what we had learnt from the lecture as well as corrected any misunderstandings so we can better teach our juniors.
 
Mini Gadgeting
This gives the Year 2s an opportunity to practice their lashes even online and to put what they have learnt in the lecture to use. The tying of tripod with 定脚s gives them a chance to familiarise themselves with the correct way to tie it. The creative gadgeting allows them to make use of their creativity and critical thinking to tie a gadget within the requirements and the limited logistics they possess. It also allows them to practice various different types of lashes as they are required to build a structure using at least 3 lashes. 




Reflection from a Year 2

As it was my first time using the bamboo sticks, I had difficulties trying to tie lashes on them as they were much thinner compared to the usual gadget poles we use. I dropped the bamboo sticks countless times due to it being so light and my lashes were quite loose which resulted in my tripod almost collapsing. Using bamboo sticks to tie a tripod was truly a new experience for me. Constant 报时 and cheering became quite difficult to do as I was too busy trying to tie tight lashes. However, I learnt that even if I meet an obstacle, it is never impossible and constant 报时 and cheering is the basics and I should be doing so. Hence, I decided not to give up and eventually managed to tie a tight lash as well as 报时 and cheered very often.


Reflection from another Year 2

This was also my first time thinking of a structure without my seniors or batch mate’s help. Therefore, I took reference from the previous structures that we have built before and modified it slightly to meet the criteria of the creative gadget. However halfway through, I realised that my structure wasn’t actually very suitable to use under the situation that my seniors gave me. It wasn’t able to hold anything on top while the criteria for the structure was for us to place our belongings. Having only about 5 minutes left, I had to just try to change it to the best of my ability to meet the criteria. In the end, I was not able to complete the structure on time. However, I learnt that problems may arise after we have already built the structure and we have to learn to think of a solution as quickly as possible and think through on how I am going to build the structure before starting on it.

 

Batch Activity

This activity gives Year 2s a chance to discuss and create their batch cheer. This also gives Year 2 a chance for them to communicate within their batch, and think about their batch characteristics, allowing them to bond better.



Reflection from a Year 2

For batch activity, we had to come up with a batch cheer and were given nine minutes. We had to discuss through Zoom and one of the seniors shared with us what her batch did for their cheer. After we came up with the cheer, we had to perform it for the rest of the 团. Through the batch activity, I feel that we bonded as a batch as we had the opportunity to work together to come up with the cheer. We also had to work around the fact that we were all using Zoom and could not discuss face to face. While this posed a challenge as some of us could not use our microphones or cameras, we managed to overcome those difficulties and came up with a cheer. I found this activity quite interesting as it allowed us to bond while allowing us to further develop our sense of belonging to guides.

 

We hope that everyone managed to enjoy the activities planned and bonded well with their batch mates and patrol!

 

Published by:

Cefina 

52届 Secretary


No comments: